Friday, May 20, 2005

Half here, half there

Everybody wants to see their previous life again, but it is impossible. We can only think about the past and it’s really nice reminiscing about the good old days. Well, I grew up in a small village in a province, and that’s were I lived till I was 14 years old. The life that I spent when I was small is different from the life I spent in the city.

Because I’m the eldest girl in the family I had to take care of my younger sisters and a brother during those days when my parents were at work. We had to go to school too and I am the one responsible for changing their clothes (uniform), preparing their breakfast and everything else. In spite of this responsibility I still had time to study my lessons and help them do their homework, and even sometimes do the cooking. Though it was a very hectic schedule for me, I don’t have any regrets because all of them are now happily married and very responsible for their own families. Because we are just a middle class family every member of the family aimed to have a good life and they are thankful that I gave them more attention then my parents gave them.

After my high school days, we migrated to the city Manila and finished by college life there. After passing the Board exam, I was employed immediately in one of the hospitals in the city. I worked for two years locally, and I have been lucky to work abroad. Since then, I've been here in Libya for more than 20 years, half of my life, and even now I am still here, so I can say that this is my second country. Well, for me the life here is very simple and peaceful. The only pain and sorrow I’m in the one suffering is that I am away from my family, but I but still surviving anyway.

Comparing the life between the province, city, and abroad.
I felt contented, while I was still in the province, because it was trouble-free, and very simple living. Going to the city is more complicated, but I learned a lot too, especially the modern culture and traditions, it made me grow. Apart from all this. I earned my college degree in the city.

Going to the present.
Living abroad for me, is the most challenging life I've ever had, especially being alone for more than 10 years. I learned to be strong enough in every aspect of life as though. As long as I have goals that say:

If others can, why can't I? and
What you can do, I can do better.
It's enough to be a better person. But the most important is that: (We should have a faith in God.) Because he is always there to guide us, leading us to the right path.

For me this country Libya is unforgettable. Why?
Well, I got my job here, got married here, had my son here, and finally got separated here too. Is it memorable? Whew!! Lastly, life is really worth living, isn't it?

It is me, Connie.

Connie
FCE preparation

No comments: