Thursday, May 05, 2005

Childhood memory

It's very difficult for somebody to forget a childhood memory, which is printed deep inside their brains, which will persist until the end of his life.

I still remember the day when I was 10 years old, my father had told my mother, my siblings and I that we were going to the United States for 6 months. It is something that means a lot to someone older than me; visiting America is a dream, it's the new world, the heaven on earth. But for me at that time it was just a place somewhere - that's all.

The story started when my father asked the family to prepare for the trip. I said with confidence, "I'm not going because I'll loose a year of school. I want to stay with my grandparents." I insisted to stay and my father, seeing how serious I was about this, agreed.

Until this point, everything was smooth, but when my family left and one week passed, I began to miss my family and I realized that it's not as simple as I thought. But a good point is that my focus was on my studies and my father wouldn't let me alone in those 6 months because he sent me a letter almost every week. I still remember one day a postman came to me, saying that I had a big box full of clothes sent from the USA waiting to be picked up at the post office.


To be honest, it wasn't easy to stay away from my family for half a year. In the end, it was an experience that not all children had, but remains with good things and bad things, which can never be forgotten.

Abdul Baset Basher
Ielts preparation

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a very adult decision to make for a child. But it was also a very wise father to allow you to stay to continue your studies, for look where you are today, very successful and still studying!