Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review: The Pearl - By John Steinbeck

I chose this story as the cover's picture attracted me. I thought it was about native American people and cowboys, and how the native people suffered a genocide.


Instead, the story, which was written by John Steinbeck is about poor people in one South American village which was occupied by Europeans and Spain. In this village the story of 'Kino', who was the main character, with his wife and their single baby who had been bitten by a scorpion. When Kino found a large pearl they thought their prayers were answered and that they would be able to treat their son. Instead, the pearl brought greed, blood and the most sadness in the end, when Kino's son was killed. Finally they decided to return home and get rid of the trouble source 'pearl'.


I don't like the repetitive idea of the story, apart from that the story line was amazing and how the author linked the characters with it made the reader live with them. However, the last two chapters lose track, they finish in a rapid way, but as I thought the cause was because the book is the condensed version and retold to reduce the story's volume.


I believe it is a nice story and I recommend it to be read. So if the reader is patient he will enjoy it, especially if he likes tragic stories.

Abujalil Abuhajar
Upper Intermediate A




No comments: