Monday, May 22, 2006

The late-night visitors

On a dark wet windy night in a small village beside the sea, years ago, I was standing behind my small window looking at the wet empty street, listening to the fast steps, the sounds of someone who was crossing the road. I don't like wet nights and this night I felt that something unusual will happen.

The house was very quiet. My family had gone out for dinner.Suddenly, I heard loud knock on the door. I freaked out. It was about 11 o'clock nobody would come at that time surely. I waited for a minute hoping that the late-night visitor may leave, but instead the knocks became louder and faster. 'I have to open the door!' I said, pretending confidence.

So as I hardly opened the door wondering if my life will change but my black toughts just faded away when I saw a small girl with wet hair. She was shaking like a bird. She pointed out to the street, her eyes were looking for help. I ran out holding her hand. I found a young man laying down, his eyes were closed but he was still breathing very hard. My brain stopped for a moment. I didn't know what to do, but after a few seconds I decided to take him to the clinic so I asked my neighbor to help to get the young man up and we drove him to the nearest clinic.

After he got well and with my frequent visits we became really good friends. I especially liked his small sister and she liked me as well and he told me that I had to visit and meet his family and that maybe something stronger than friendship will happened between us.

I was really surprised. He asked me for promises that we will meet again. All that happened just during this one week.

At the end of the week they had to go back to their city in the West. It was a nice sunny day in the clinic's garden. I was playing with the small girl when he came and I thought that was time to say goodbye. He smiled and gave me a red flower. I kissed his sister and finally as the tears streamed down my cheeks I let her go back to her brother.

Samar Aldebre
FCE Preparation

No comments: