Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My City


Tripoli has a population of about 2 million. It lies on the Mediterranean Sea, where the Romans landed nearly 1000 years ago. It was called 'Oya'. Tripoli was the biggest city in North Africa, but now there are many cities that are much bigger.

Tripoli is famous for many things. Tourists come from all over the world to visit its historic buildings, such as in the old city we can see Ahmed Basha Garamali House where the Turkish colonels lived. They also come to visit its museums and its many shops where you can buy anything.

Like many big cities, Tripoli has problems with traffic and pollution. Over 500,000 people a day use Tripoli's highways and roads, but there are still too many cars on the streets. The air isn't clean but it's cleaner than it was 100 years ago.

For me the best thing about Tripoli is the Sea. My family and I go to the beach in summer. I think it is the best beach in the world.

Fatima Alatrech
Elementary (B2)

No comments: